Current Job Openings
JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY (Results/Output): Electrical Engineers are responsible for providing technical support and expertise for site electrical distribution equipment, electrical generating equipment, electrical relays and protective devices, as well as, supporting process controls and instrumentation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support goal of zero recordable safety and reportable environmental incidents
- Assist in planning and coordinating plant outages
- Review electrical plans for proposed retrofits and plant projects, as well as, for proposed facilities
- Act as SME for all things electrical, including strategy for process controls and automation
- Specify hardware and software for electrical and controls systems including power distribution and protective relaying
- Manage electrical testing and protective relaying testing program
- Evaluate and recommend opportunities for continuous improvement through the identification and implementation of electrical and automation improvement projects
- Comply with all state and federal agencies
- Follows all policies and procedures. Follows all federal, state and site-specific safety policies
- Provide technical support and assistance for operations, maintenance and business development
- Assist with root cause analysis for failures and safety incidents
- Develop business cases for project economics for proposed projects
- Develop basis of design, design packages, scopes of work, and equipment specification
- Develop control philosophies and cause & effect documentation
- Develop and communicate project scopes, work plans, and schedules for work to internal and external stakeholders
- Create QA/QC plans for projects and operations support
- Support Process Safety Management (PSM) for including performing HAZOP analyses and reviews, and management of change process for process modifications, retrofits and overhauls
- Maintain control system backup configuration files
- Work closely with IT to improve and secure cyber assets
- Manage documentation control for electrical assets including by redlining and coordinating the updating of plant one-lines, schematics, electrical distribution, wiring diagrams and other electrical and controls related documentation including control philosophies and cause and effect documentation
- Provide regular on-site support at operating facilities
- Proficiency with industry codes and standards including NEC and NFPA
- Proficient with configuring and modifying control logic in PLC, VFD configurations, and HMI graphics
- Provide guidance for the selection, installation and maintenance of process instrumentation including control valves, transmitters, switches, relays, UPS etc.
- Manage operations' process data and data historians
- Work closely with operation and maintenance personnel, project management personnel, internal and external engineers, and technical support personnel
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of five years' experience in an electrical role in an operations or operations supporting environment.
- Experience troubleshooting electrical and programming issues
- Demonstrated experience with safe field operations
- Demonstrated experience with process operations and controls in an industrial/process plant environment
- Demonstrated experience with project development, execution and management
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills enabling individual to motivate others
- Ability to read, write and speak English sufficiently to convey complex technical information to diverse audiences including technicians, engineers, stakeholders, vendors, and partners
- Ability to utilize critical software for process automation and electrical distribution and protective systems
- Ability to interpret engineering drawing (P&ID, One-Lines, Cause & Effect, Control Philosophies, etc.)
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel in a high intensity environment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to sit, for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to stand, twist, stoop/bend, squat, kneel, crawl, reach, push, pull, and climb stairs or ladders regularly during each shift.
- Able to walk moderate distances several times during each shift.
- Able to tolerate remote environments, indoor/outdoor work, wildlife, possible dust, dirt, and wind, including any weather typical for all seasons in southern CA, NV, UT, and NM.
- Able to don all forms of required Personal Protective Equipment and work at heights of up to 50'.
- Travel Expectations: 25-50%, often at short notice. Flying and driving required.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited university. Professional Engineer licensure preferred.
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- High level of integrity, strong work ethic, good judgment, and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others.
- Organizational and planning skills, including effective time management skills and able to engage in several projects simultaneously and prioritize according to the company's needs or deadlines
- Must have advanced computer writing, grammar, and math skills.
- Must have a valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.