Our client is a leading global energy company specializing in sustainable wood bioenergy. We are the world's largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Our client is seeking a Construction Procurement Manager to support development of capital projects - engineering and construction of manufacturing facilities. The Construction Procurement Manager will be responsible for successfully executing procurement activities for the capital projects as well as negotiating contracts and services during project development through construction. The Manager will lead and drive equipment provider and contractor selection efforts as well as contract negotiations for major projects. The Manager will also supervise a Project Buyer.
- Provides leadership and support in planning, organizing and controlling the procurement of capital equipment and services for projects; implements and follows auditable procedures consistent with accounting protocols; and coordinates with the entire Project Team, Project Manager and Project Controller.
- Oversees the cost-effective procurement of capital equipment, and construction services for the projects.
- Establishes and maintains supplier relationships with existing and new suppliers and contractors to leverage the supply base and foster continuous competition to generate benefits for the Company. Drive ongoing value creation with the supply base and identify and manage strategic business relationships involving the position's management
- Identifies and implements various cost savings strategies and strives for a high degree of standardization of processes, products, and systems; preserves Company cash flow and seeks aggressive terms to optimize Company ROE.
- Leads competitive bid and contracting process for major equipment and service contracts.
- Manages the vendor qualification process.
- Participates in or directly negotiates contracts and ensures compliance with contracts for products and/or services; maintains form contracts, Terms & Conditions; collaborates with Project Manager and Corporate Counsel on unique conditions and/or situations.
- Works closely with each Project Manager to ensure decisions support the project and consistent across projects.
- Manages the approval process for purchasing documents, ensures proper approvals and archives approvals.
- Negotiates appropriate multi-year mechanical warranties, liquidated damages, payment terms, and two-year performance warranties.
- Expedites deliveries of equipment and services to compliment project completion schedule.
- Manages the change order process, participating in or directly negotiating change orders or disputes of contract obligations, collaborates with Contract Managers and Corporate counsel on unique conditions and/or situations.
- Negotiates and track back charges from suppliers.
- BS in Business, Mechanical Engineering or a related degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- Recent experience working for owner, engineering firm, EPC contractor, or a general contractor in a leading procurement role for plant construction projects in excess of $50 million.
- Knowledge of EPCM practices is a plus.
- Documented and proven experience managing and leading a large procurement effort ($ value and pieces of equipment) for major industrial construction projects - preferably wood/paper or energy sector.
- Track record of successfully executing complex contracts timely.
- Knowledge of supply chain and materials management principles - specific to engineering and construction projects is required.
- Knowledge and experience drafting and negotiating complex equipment and service contracts, change orders, back charges and dispute resolution.
- Experience in establishing work processes, quality, and productivity standards and policies/procedures designed to ensure optimal procurement performance. Knowledge of standard accounting processes and procedures with a willingness to integrate and develop new company procedures.
- Knowledge of products and equipment, inventory sources, and alternate sources of supply, procurement, contract negotiation administration and new/emerging trends in the procurement industry is strongly preferred, large collection of industry contacts and procurement industry network.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Excel and accounting software experience is important.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, organizational and team-building skills and effective negotiation skills.
- Strong background in development or construction management of greenfield/brownfield projects desirable.