Current Job Openings
Our client is one of America's largest suppliers of biodiesel. They also have one of the industry's broadest and deepest talent pools of biofuels expertise and knowhow.
The Instrumentation & Controls Engineer will be responsible for providing technical support to assigned refinery process areas and assigned capital project. They will be responsible for managing I&E Design, from conceptual engineering through detailed design, construction, and project completion.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, team-oriented individual who has a background in instrumentation/electrical engineering in a refining/petrochemical environment. They should also have a willingness to manage projects and be able to interface with different disciplines & groups within the refinery and among the project teams.
- Provide technical support in design and development of instrumentation, controls, and electrical systems.
- Work with reliability engineering to formulate long range programs that sustain, renew, and improve the refinery instrumentation and controls infrastructure.
- Communicate with personnel from different disciplines and grade levels, along with outside resources to obtain needed information or resolve issues.
- Initiate/participate in management of change (MOC) reviews, P&ID reviews, HazOp/PHA's, and incident investigations
- Support the plant in high impact unplanned instrumentation/electrical issues with the ability to be on call
- Providing start-up commission and controls support for plant and plant operators. Assist in loop Tuning.
- Strong field presence conducting audits for compliance, safety, and housekeeping standards
- Prepare and/or review analysis, designs, and contract documents
- Review designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards and requirements and related specifications
- Initiate, develop, and implement process control strategies on DCS/PLC equipment.
- Maintain and modify existing process control infrastructure and operator interfaces.
- Understand and utilize MainSaver project system for ACD
- Design and modification of automation and control systems including distributed control systems (DCS) and programmable logic controllers (PLC). Experience with Intelligent MCC and VFD.
- Develop I&E designs, specifications, and installation details in compliance with company standards, applicable industry codes and standards, and project deliverables.
- Design and checking of wiring diagrams, interconnection diagrams, schematics, controls, piping and instrument diagrams, instrument installation details, load list, instrumentation list and I/O list.
- Selection and specification of process instruments and electronic transmitters for pressure, temperature, flow, position, level, composition analyzers, etc.
- Configuration of typical transmitters (temperature, pressure, flow, liquid level, gas quality, rotating equipment speed, etc.) and valves
- Installation and maintenance of emissions control equipment and continuous emissions monitoring systems (CEMS) and Analyzers
- Selection and sizing of control valves and actuators.
- Provides daily refinery operations support to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient operations.
- Project Support Responsibilities
- Support the project engineering group in reviewing the design of instrumentation and control systems
- Participate in integrated project teams with other engineering disciplines to troubleshoot issues and provide engineered solutions
- Interface with contractors/capital crew on design questions
- Support Project Managers in execution of projects.
- Participate in technical reviews with project engineers, engineering firms and equipment suppliers.
- Communicate with the project team to establish essential functions and deadlines necessary to finish project
- Provides I&E Engineering support to the design teams in the execution of capital project
- Initiate procurement requests for instrumentation and electrical equipment.
- Work with project controls team to develop project schedule and spending curve and report progress monthly.
- Recognize and evaluate scope changes for impact to project cost and schedule
- Verifying conformity to project specifications and requirements.
- Interface design and project specifications with other discipline engineers.
- The ability to manage and lead the electrical, instrumentation and controls efforts on projects.
- Coordinate and ensure projects comply with regulatory and code requirements.
Additional Work/Skills/Knowledge/Experience Desired:
- Good understanding of current Industry Standards.
- Experience in the development of electrical drawings and documents that include one-line drawings, power plans, hazard classification maps, cable routing (cable tray/raceways), cable & conduit schedules, and grounding plans.
- Experience in the development of instrumentation drawings and documents such as IO lists, instrument lists, installation details, instrument locations drawings, wiring diagrams and loop sheets.
- Familiarity with industrial Communication protocols, HART, Foundation, Fieldbus, Modbus, and Ethernet /IP.
- Familiarity with Emerson DeltaV (Continuous) and/or Allen-Bradley PlantPAx configuration & troubleshooting is highly desirable.
- Willingness to learn new PLC/DCS Control System Platforms. Have a basic understanding of Safety Instrumented Systems.
- Working knowledge of Emerson AMS and 475 communicator is highly desirable.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in Instrumentation/Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- 2-5 years as an Instrumentation and Controls Engineer
- Refinery/petrochemical/bio-fuels industry experience preferred.