Current Job Openings
Job Title: Capital Project Manager
Location: Riverdale, Alabama
The successful candidate will manage the development and implementation of capital projects with primarily mechanical, electrical/instrumentation, process, or other discipline focus in support of facility and business unit objectives. As an Owner representative the Capital Project Manager is ultimately responsible for the safety performance, budget, schedule, and technical performance of the project(s).
Day to day:
This position will be responsible for managing a typical individual portfolio of facility level projects ranging from ~$5-$10MM TIC involving ~8-15 active projects per year. This position will report to the Facility Capital Manager or the Facility Engineering Manager. This position is located at the Facility full time.
Key Functions (include but not limited to):
- Practice safety leadership in all aspects of the job.
- Coordination of all phases of capital projects from business justification to start-up including; Business case development, Evaluation and selection of technical alternatives, Development of detailed cost estimates and execution plans, Design engineering, Construction management, Commissioning and start up, Procurement and contract strategies, Technical/business performance, and Project turn over.
- Manage alignment of project goals, expectations, and scope with all stakeholders.
- Responsible for communicating project status to key customers and project team members. This to include progress against plans, budget status and forecasts, safety results and issues, emerging risks to the project and any deviations from the approved project goals. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Ensure all applicable quality specifications are applied, quality assurance testing / inspection is performed at the right time, and installation follows precision guidelines and targets.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining proper project controls. This to include formulation of proper work breakdown structure, cost tracking/forecasting, schedule compliance, project documentation/records retention, and EHS compliance/documentation. Ensure proper change management policies are established and maintains strict adherence to both Capital Investment and Financial Policies.
- Responsible for ensuring current applicable Best Practices (BPs) and Value Improving Processes (VIPs) are identified and integrated into the project implementation strategy.
- Responsible for working cohesively with appropriate facility operations and maintenance organizations to ensure successful transition from an engineered and constructed project to an operating asset. Develops construction complete and check-out protocol congruent with the commissioning and start-up needs.
- Support the skills development of less experienced team members.
- Assure engagement and alignment from required project constituents and team members for all projects, including outside resources such as engineering partners and contractors.
- Overall management of the procurement process including bid analysis (commercial and technical), negotiation and awarding of work associated with the procurement of equipment and services, expediting, factory acceptance activities and resolving contract issues.
- Manage small to major projects (TIC>$1MM) that are engineered and constructed by others, including determining the appropriate engineering deliverables (design and documentation) for assigned projects, management of engineering contractor processes, procedures and workflow, ensure cost effectiveness, functionality, maintainability, safe design, and final transfer/organization of documentation and reference materials.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering degree or equivalent Pulp & Paper experience desired, but any relevant industry or project management experience will be considered.
- A combination of 5(+) years of experience in Capital Project Management, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing or Maintenance in heavy industrial fields.
- Skilled computer user and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), AutoCAD, MS Project. Must be willing and able to learn IP specific software tools (SAP, Unifier)
- High written and verbal communication skills required.
- Understanding of cost control desired.