Current Job Openings
Position: Reliability Engineer
Reports to: Maintenance and Reliability Manager
Reports to: Maintenance and Reliability Manager
Position Summary: The Reliability Engineer is responsible for improving the safety, reliability, operability, and maintainability of all BioFuels Biorefinery and Feedstock Processing Facility assets by identifying and resolving asset risks that could adversely affect operations and by implementing enhancements to improve facility reliability. This role includes performing downtime and defect identification and elimination, risk management and life cycle asset management through the implementation of process improvement opportunities.
* Utilizes reliability techniques and tools to ensure the reliability and operability of all equipment, processes, utilities, and safety/security systems.
* Gathers and examines plant downtime data and analyzes the data using well-defined engineering techniques, principles and procedures to prioritize improvement opportunities.
* Develops maintenance, reliability, availability and utilization Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and communicates KPI information appropriately throughout the organization.
* Utilizes and champions the Management of Change process by updating the plant equipment files and drawings including P&IDs, PFD's, electrical one-lines, equipment data sheets, PSV/PRD, basic engineering data document (BEDD), relief system and engineering standards. Performs PSSR when necessary.
* Works closely with the Operations and Maintenance and Reliability teams to design, develop, monitor and improve the asset-based maintenance program through the development of value-added preventive maintenance tasks, the effective use of predictive and other non-destructive testing and methodologies designed to identify and isolate inherent reliability problems.
* Identifies needed spare parts, equipment, materials and consumables needed to support operations and builds business cases to support prioritization and procurement activities for needed items.
* Supports spares storage efforts, including development of warehouse and materials management processes, and creating tracking mechanisms for all spare parts, equipment, materials and consumables.
* Initiates root cause failure analysis (RCFA) for equipment and process failures and presents findings and recommendations to management.
* Designs, leads and coordinates the implementation of solutions to repetitive failures, defects and all other problems that adversely affect operations. Problems may include, but are not limited to capacity, efficiency, quality, cost and/or regulatory compliance issues.
* Works with the Engineering group, Maintenance and Reliability and Operations Teams in development and execution of engineered solutions to resolve facility issues, eliminate defects and improve reliability. May be called upon to lead contract personnel to implement small, engineered projects.
* Works with Maintenance and Reliability and Operations personnel by utilizing the Sierra Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to support the overall work management process. Supports identifying work, planning work, procuring materials and services, scheduling work, executing work and closing work.
* Conducts other duties as assigned.
* 5+ years operations or maintenance/reliability engineering experience in the refining or chemical processing industry.
* Experience in process/project engineering work.
* B.S. Degree in a technical discipline, preferably Mechanical Engineering or related field.
* To ensure the effective and safe performance of the job, the ability to effectively communicate in English with others, in both written and in verbal form is required, as well as reading and writing skills, and the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
* Valid driver's license and ability to maintain such license.
* Successful completion of a post-contingent offer medical examination to ensure the physical requirements (listed below) necessary for the safe operation of Sierra or job-related as consistent with business necessity, as allowed by federal and state law, can be performed without endangering the health and safety of themselves or others.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
* Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as a professional and courteous attitude. Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports using both technical and non-technical language. Ability to maintain detailed, complete and accurate records.
* Ability to lead Root Cause Failure Analysis investigations.
* Ability to organize and analyze data resulting in recommended changes that resolve safety and operability issues.
* Ability to effectively operate a computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities.
* Ability to organize projects, accomplish tasks and meet deadlines.
* Must possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Desire and willingness to learn new activities and expand existing skillsets and capabilities daily.
* The biorefinery is an outdoors based chemical processing plant environment which includes but is not limited to chemicals, dust, noise, hot and cold surfaces, pressure vessels, tanks, rotating equipment, vehicular traffic, and the necessity of working at heights and in confined spaces.
* The FPF is an indoor MSW processing plant environment which includes but is not limited to chemicals, dust, noise, rotating equipment, vehicular traffic, and the necessity of working at heights and in confined spaces.
* Work may be required to be performed outdoors in inclement weather such as wind, rain, sleet, snow, and hot or cold temperatures.
* Ability to work off shift, weekends or holidays as required to support planned and unplanned downtime conditions.
* Job duties may routinely require standing, climbing ladders, walking, sitting, twisting, stooping, crouching, kneeling, talking and hearing, making visual inspections, making precise hand and finger movements, reaching or grasping.
* Job duties may routinely require specific vision abilities which include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to quickly adjust and focus vision.
* Job duties may routinely require lifting and/or carrying objects up to 50 lbs.
* Job duties may routinely require pushing and/or pulling objects up to 50 lbs.
* Job duties may routinely require climbing ladders and/or stairs to heights over 175 ft. and working in elevated locations.
* Must follow company policy when operating any company vehicles.
* Job duties may routinely require performing strenuous physical activity while wearing personal protective equipment.
* Must be able to comply with respirator protection program.
Team Skills Requirements:
Each employee is required to possess and utilize the following skills:
* Ability to effectively interface and communicate with a variety of people with varying degrees of education, experience and responsibilities.
* Ability to work within a virtual team organization.
* Ability to work well with others including employees and external contacts such as vendors, suppliers and agencies.
* Effectively resolve conflicts in a professional manner by treating differences of opinion and judgement professionally as opposed to on a personal level.
* Treat all with respect in a manner one would want to be treated.
Personal Protective Equipment:
* Foot protection in the form of ASTM F2413 puncture resistant (PR) certified safety footwear, hand protection, eye and hearing protection, a respirator, a personal four-gas monitor, fire retardant clothing, safety vest, and hard hat.
* This position has no direct reports.